Sakura Network

Introduction of the cooking workplace


Japanese cooking workplaces, where you can acquire various qualifications and valuable skills, while you can work there with a satisfaction

Cooking workplaces in Japan

SQUARE Planning Co., Ltd. is the expert in these workplaces.
The single-word cooking site covers many genres and cooking places, such as restaurants and taverns on the street corners, cafeterias for significant companies employees, school lunches for children, hospitals, and social welfare facilities.
Among them, SQUARE Planning Co., Ltd. specializes in mass cooking for social welfare facilities and hospitals.

Useful and necessary qualifications

Dietitian or national registered dietitian

It is the national qualification of Japan, and you will develop and create menus.

How to get a dietitian qualification

You need to enroll in a school designated and approved as a dietitian training facility by the Minister of Health, Labor, and Welfare. You must take the full-time course, and graduate it.
When graduating, you are qualified. This qualification is nationally certified, but no exams are imposed.

  • Enroll in a 2-year or 4-year school (specialty school/junior college/university)
  • Acquire enough credits
  • Apply to each prefectural governor
  • Obtaine a dietitian qualification
  • Application qualifications vary depending on each school, but Japanese language ability is required.
  • Tuition fees range from school to school.

2-year course (Nutritionist): Approximately 2.8 million yen
4-year course (Registered dietitian): Approximately 5.6 million yen
* Textbooks are required for each.

How to get a registered dietitian qualification

First of all, it is a prerequisite that you have a dietitian qualification.
Registered dietitians are required to pass the national examination, which is conducted once a year. The qualifications for taking the exam are as follows.

  • If you graduate from a dietitian school with two years of study, you need to work as a dietitian for three years or more.
  • If you graduate from a dietitian school with three years of study, you need to work as a dietitian for two years or more.
  • If you graduate from a dietitian school with four years of study, you need to work as a dietitian for at least one year.
  • If you graduate from a registered dietitian school with four years of study, you do not need to work as a dietitian.

The characteristics of registered dietitian examination

  • Written test only, all multiple-choice mark sheets
  • The pass criteria is usually 60% or more of the perfect score.
  • The exam is performed once a year and held on Sunday, March.
  • The venue is only in 8 prefectures of Hokkaido, Miyagi, Tokyo, Aichi, Osaka, Okayama, Fukuoka, and Okinawa.

Licensed cook

This qualification is a national qualification of Japan, and you cook according to the menu prepared by dietitians or registered dietitians.

How to get a cooking license, Type (1)

Take and pass the cooking exam after more than two years of work experience at the applicable facility.

  • Two years or more of work experience is a mandatory condition, and it generally means four days or more work per week and six hours or more work per day.
  • The cooking and cooking food is an effective practice, and waitresses and dishwashing are not counted in the work experience.
  • In order to prove the work experience, it is necessary to get a certificate issued from a shop or company.
    You can use the Certification form for Cooking Work on the Cooking Technical Skills Center website.
  • Regarding the applicable facilities, the Cooks Act, Enforcement Regulations, Article 4 clearly states as follows.
    □Business at restaurants (including inns and simple lodgings)
    □Fish and shellfish cooking business (only sales are not recognized as work experience)
    □Side dish cooking industry (the company that manufactures simmered foods including tsukudani (preservable food boiled down in soy sauce), stir-fried foods, roasted foods, fried foods, steamed foods, vinegared foods, or seasoned foods)
    □School lunch facilities such as schools, hospitals, and dormitories (working at a facility that cooks 20 or more meals at a time, or 50 or more meals a day)
How to get a cooking license, Type (2)

Enroll in a cooking school (training facility) designated by each prefecture and obtain the required credits.
You have qualified for a cooking license without taking the cooking exam when graduating from the designated school.

  • The study period will be one or two years, but the curriculum will differ from school to school.
  • Currently, there are about 270 schools in Japan, including daytime schools and nighttime schools.
  • To take an entrance examination is necessary to enter school, and Japanese language ability is also required.
  • Tuition fees vary from school to school.
    Nagoya Cooking School, 1-year course: about 1.2 million yen, 2-year course: about 2.3 million yen.
    * Textbooks and school supplies (apron, cook coat, kitchen knife set) are required apart from the above.

The characteristics of the cooking exam

  • The test is a written test only and is a 4-choice mark sheet.
  • The passing standard is usually 60% or more of the perfect score.
  • The test is performed once a year and is held all over Japan from June to November.
  • It is possible to take the test in multiple areas * Ex) After taking the test in Osaka, you can retake the test in Aichi on a different schedule.
  • For more information,please refer to the website of the Cooking Technical Skills Center.
    You can see the questions asked in the past exams and the procedure to take the exams.

Examples of overseas human resources' activities

The following foreigners who have a residence status with no restrictions on staying (permanent resident, spouse of Japan, spouse of permanent resident, long-term resident) are taking advantage of their qualifications. In addition, the foreigners who have Japanese certified licenses of nutritionists, registered dietitians, and cooks, and the foreigners who communicate in Japanese are active in the cooking fields. The valuable Japanese proficiency for such people is N1 or N2 level.

If you meet the above conditions,
please click the button.

People who are not qualified are active as cooking assistants. Specifically, their main tasks are serving ingredients, serving meals, cleaning up, and washing dishes. Since the cooking workplace needs teamwork, Japanese Communication is required, and Japanese proficiency, N1 or N2 level, is usually needed.
Currently, due to the influence of the COVID-19, the employment situation is as follows.

Current and future trends of the cooking workplaces
Present issues (the period of disaster caused by COVID-19)

Due to the influence of the new coronavirus, the number of job offers at the current cooking site is limited, and the central tendency is to require ready-to-work personnel (qualified and Japanese-speaking). For this reason, the reality is that it is challenging to hire people who do not have qualifications or who do not have Japanese proficiency.

After COVID-19

If the COVID-19 tends to converge, many cooking workplaces will be in a labor shortage situation, and we expect the number of job offers will increase. Even if you do not qualify, if you acquire Japanese proficiency equivalent to N1 to N2 by that time, you will have more employment opportunities in your desired occupation. If you further improve your skills, you will be able to renew or change your residence status, which will lead to a long-term stay.

Time of labor shortage

After that, even if you are not qualified and your Japanese ability is N3 level or less, chances are expected to expand.